Yours truly is not only an urban girl scout, I am now a bonafied wilderness girl. My camping crew dubbed me the *cashmere camper* one night while we sat around the fire. (I could only pack one sweater and naturally it was cashmere- duh!) I survived roughin' it and look forward to my next outdoor excursion.
Notes from a tent down by the river:
* I really enjoyed being out of range and having no cell phone service and internet.
* The clothing shopping I did in preparation for the trip was spot on. As much as I was discouraged about having to buy a pair of river shoes, they were the best purchase I could have made.
* I need to buy a headlight.
* Inflatable matresses rule!
* Never underestimate packing the small comforts of home (e.g. eye mask, ear plugs and champagne flutes).
* Classic rock is THE soundtrack for camping.
* The bruises from the rope burns I acquired while tubing down the river were very much worth the experience. I can't wait to take the bull by the horns and ride those rapids again.
Since I was in the best company of seasoned campers, I learned many tricks along the way. The food was to die for. I was in champagne and mini-birthday cupcake heaven. Smores were taken to a whole new level. In addition to using graham crackers, melted marshmallow goodness was sandwiched in between Belgian Butter Waffle cookies. Next time I want to expand on the idea and use a personal fave of mine filled with caramel-like syrup: stroopwafels. Yum!
Speaking of caramel, the owner of Happy Goat (aka the most delicious goat milk caramels on Earth) cooked up a gourmet grilled cheese send-off meal which blew my mind. With the main ingredient being a variety of cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, my favorite sandwich involved chanterelles cooked in a garlic leek sauce. In post-meal bliss, I headed back to reality a happy camper.
Note to self: Next time pack more bubbly. Camping makes me thirsty!